Welcome to my Blog!

Welcome to my Blog! Feel free to comment on my posts and don't forget to follow me! I hope you enjoy! :)

Welcome!

About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Tiffany Fey and I am 21 years old. I am majoring in Elementary/ Early Childhood/ Special Education and am currently a sophomore/junior at the University of South Alabama. My passion lies in teaching. I love kids and I cannot wait until I am a teacher! I am counting down the days until I can have a classroom I can call my own. ;)

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Blog Post #4

E-Book vs. Book?


1. Scott McLeod, J.D., Ph.D., is an Associate Professor in the Educational Administration program at Iowa State University. He is also the Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE), the nation’s only academic center dedicated to the technological needs of school administrators, and he was also a co-creator of the popular video, Did You Know? (Shift Happens). He has received many national awards for his technology leadership work, including recognitions from the cable industry, Phi Delta Kappa, and the National School Boards Association.
When I was reading Dr. McLeod’s post, I honestly thought he was against teaching technology to students. But when I finished reading it I was relieved to see he was not! I think his poem is very creative and true, it definitely points out how a lot of people feel about teaching technology in the classrooms. In my comment to Dr. McLeod I said that I feel it is not only important to teach students how to be technologically literate, but to also be safe when using this technology. We cannot completely stop kids from accessing computers or cell phones or anything else you can use to access the outside world because it is everywhere. But we can teach them how to be safe when accessing it. I think teachers need to show students how to be safe when using the internet and when talking to people through technology. We need to be proactive in showing students what to watch out for and the things that are not appropriate on the internet, while also making sure they know that using technology can be very helpful in learning.


2. In the The iSchool Initiative video, the high school student, Travis, is arguing that a new tool to use in the classrooms, called the iSchool, will better education by: giving students access to everything they need in materials, such as books, workbooks, calculators, etc., helping teachers and students stay connected outside of the classroom, and many other ways.
I think that the iSchool is a really great tool to incorporate into classrooms, but I do not think that it should completely replace books, paper, and pencils altogether. Although the iSchool would help our environment and help kids become more technologically literate during every day school activities, I believe that part of the fun in school involves books, paper, and pencils. Some of my fondest memories in school started with a book, a piece of paper, or a pencil. I always loved going to the library and picking out a book to read, a book I could actually hold in my hand. I loved writing stories on a piece of paper with a pencil. I loved using paper and crayons to color and create. I think that the iSchool would be a great addition to classroom materials, but I do not think it should replace materials that make school more fun and enjoyable.

3. I loved The Lost Generation video! It was so neat how they replayed the words backwards to make another statement. As I was watching the video of the words scrolling up, I felt really sad about what it was saying because I see a lot of that right now during this era. Many people view their life this way right at this moment, but it should not be like this. We as educators must change the world now, so we can teach our students that the statement of the words scrolling up is the way to view the world, not the words scrolling down.

4. Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir video was amazing! I could not believe how great the voices sounded! You would think that you were listening to an actual choir in a cathedral if you did not see the video. I can’t imagine how long it took to put this whole thing together, but it was well worth it. I think that this is a really unique way of bringing a large group of people together from all different parts of the world to do something wonderful.

5. I really enjoyed the Teaching in the 21st Century video. The video was very creative and fun to watch, while also delivering a very strong point. I agree with everything that was said in this video and I liked the way it was stated. Teaching in the 21st century overall means engaging your students. Like it said in the video, technology like computers, cell phones, iPods, etc., are everywhere now-a-days and students can get their hands on information by the click of a button. So what is a teacher needed for? A teacher is there to help their students learn how to use all of these resources used to obtain information. Teachers in the 21st century must find ways of teaching their students in a way that will engage them in learning and help them be a proactive learner, which in my opinion means to not just absorb information, but to absorb it and then use it to do something great.     

3 comments:

  1. I loved what you said about iSchool. I, too, think it is a terrific program but still want to use pen and paper. I feel that regardless of how far along we are in technology, everyone still needs know how to read and write. I think you will make a great teacher! It's very clear that you are open-minded but still have certain issues that you will stand firm on. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if we asked the kids:
    Would you like to use an iPod Touch (or iPad) for your school work if each of you could have your own?
    Would you also want printed books, pencil and paper or could the iPod Touches (or iPads) be satisfactory replacements for books, paper and pencils?
    Which would be better: technology tools or books, paper and pencils?

    Any guesses about their responses?

    Which is more important: what you like best or what the students like best (and would most likely use).

    Are you ready to engage your students?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Strange, I actually never thought of it that way. I guess in a way, expecting children to learn how I learned when I was in school is almost a selfish way of thinking. Your comment made me think about bringing technology into the classroom in a different perspective. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete