Welcome to my Blog!

Welcome to my Blog! Feel free to comment on my posts and don't forget to follow me! I hope you enjoy! :)

Welcome!

About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Tiffany Fey and I am 21 years old. I am majoring in Elementary/ Early Childhood/ Special Education and am currently a sophomore/junior at the University of South Alabama. My passion lies in teaching. I love kids and I cannot wait until I am a teacher! I am counting down the days until I can have a classroom I can call my own. ;)

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

C4T Summary #3

C4T Summary #3!
The teacher I was assigned to for C4T #3 was Mrs. Martha Yim. She is a wife, a mother, a teacher, and a business owner. I really enjoyed reading her blog posts because they are from the perspective of what I hope to be one day: a wife, a mother, a teacher, and a business owner. It is inspiring to me to read blogs and posts from people who embody the image of who I want to be in the future. If you would like to see her blog Here. Her blog is great and you will not be disappointed!

Mrs. Martha Yim


Here is the first blog post of hers that I commented on:

"Martha Yim:
Charter Schools
Two girls going to school

Charter Schools are the answer to our country's education problem!?

Well, no not exactly.  For some reason this is what many people have taken by watching the "Waiting for Superman" documentary.  It shows us children who seem to put their future only in charter schools but that is a high level view.  In the area that the children in the video live the best school in their area that is public happens to be a Charter School.  This does not mean that all Charter Schools are wonderful because even the documentary tells us that that is not the case.  Open your mind! These children and their families are simply seeking schools that will give their children the best education available.  For some it is as simple as escaping a failing school and for others it is to get into a school that does not track them based on extraneous information and allows them the same opportunity for education as it does to everyone in the school.  These parents are not seeking Charter Schools they are seeking good schools and that exists in both Charter and regular Public Schools you just have to find them and unfortunately there are not enough of them therefore you have the lottery."

And here is my comment for her:

"Tiffany Fey said...
Hello Mrs. Yim,
My name is Tiffany Fey and I am a student at the University of South Alabama, majoring in Elementary Education. This semester I am taking a class called EDM 310 or Education in Media and one of my assignments is to comment on your blog. I agree with what you said about Charter schools. There are many public schools that are just as great as a Charter schools that do not receive the credit they deserve because they are not classified as a Charter school. I believe that the worth of a school is not in what type of school it is, but in the teachers within the school. It doesn't matter if a school is a Charter school, a public school, or even a private school, if the teachers are not good teachers, then the school will not be a good school. Thank you for sharing this blog post. I will be commenting on another one of your blog posts sometime next week and I will then put the summary of both of my comments and your posts on My Blog.
Sincerely,
Tiffany Fey"
  
Here is her second blog post, which is my favorite because it has a short video of Sir Ken Robinson (she had not written a new one since I last commented on her blog, so I found one she posted previously):
 
"Friday, January 28, 2011
Homeschooling or Unschooling by Sir Ken Robinson
I am a huge fan of Sir Ken Robinson and was very excited to see his blog post today about homeschooling.  I have debated homeschooling my own children on more than one occasion so I really wanted to hear what he had to say. I know many people who are currently homeschooling their children and it seems to work for them.

What are your thoughts on homeschooling?

Martha Yim 

And here is my response to her blogpost/video:
"Tiffany Fey said...
Mrs. Yim,
Hello again, this is my second post on your blog as an assignment for Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class. I love hearing Sir Ken Robinson's speeches and ideas on education because he has such great view points and always keeps the children in mind. I always liked the idea of homeschooling when I was a child in public school, but my mother never felt like she could give us the proper education and experiences that we could get from actually going to a school with other children. I am glad that I was able to go to public school and experience the things that I did, but I still see the good points of homeschooling, especially when you teach a child through a homeschooling group that is nationwide, because then they are able to interact with other home schooled children, much like children in public school do. Like you and Mr. Robinson said, I hope that they can one day find a way to combine the good points of homeschooling and public schools together so that children can get the education they deserve. Thank you for posting this video. If you would like to see my blog and my summary post of the comments I made on your blog, you can click Here. Thank you for sharing!
Sincerely,
Tiffany Fey


I really enjoyed reading Mrs. Yim's blog and I will definitely be adding it to my PLN!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany,

    I am so glad that you commented on my post. Your comment was very well thought out and presented. It was clear that you read and actually thought about what you were reading and you were able to make a personal connection. I look forward to reading more on your blog. I have another blog post coming out in a few days that is also related to homeschooling that you might like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mrs. Yim. I will be keeping an eye out for it and I am looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete